Tuesday, April 11, 2017

God and Fate v Free Will

In class, we are currently talking about God and getting into the topic of fate and free will. Now, I understand that everyone doesn't believe in God, but for the record I want to state that I am, in fact, a Christian and I do believe in God. I have no issues with anyone who doesn't believe in what I believe or believe in my religion, however, I do have an issue when anyone disrespects my religion and tries to degrade my faith. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion, but I feel as though it should go without saying that everyone should respect what people believe whether they agree with it or not. 

Even though that's not what I wanted to talk about, it seems fair to mention it. Quite recently, Monday actually, we had a class discussion on God. It was here that I learned not many of my classmates believe in God. This doesn't offend me in any way, but it simply shocked me, and I can't quite explain why. I feel as though it's because all I've ever known is Christianity, and the vast majority of my friends are Christians as well. This was an eye opener to me--not saying that I didn't know there were people who didn't believe the same things I did--because I feel as though maybe I had become used to being in my "box" of comfortability. Our conversation showed me that sometimes you could be in a room full of people who just don't see eye to eye with you, and it's moments like these that tests who you are as a person: whether you stick to what you believe in or will you conform to those around you?

1 comment:

  1. Did you get the feeling that your faith was being disrespected? I hope not. I will keep an ear out for that, if a conversation leans that way.

    ReplyDelete